Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
No one wants think about Colorectal Cancer nonetheless talk about it. Adelante found a fun way to start the conversation!
Join Adelante Healthcare to raise awareness and save lives. Remind your friends and family about the importance of screening! Tomorrow cannot wait.
Each year, tens of thousands of Americans die from colon cancer. That is a sad truth, and what is even more disheartening is that most of those men and women would have survived had they undergone recommended cancer screenings. In fact, 60 to 90 percent of colon cancer deaths could be prevented if everyone over 45 got a colonoscopy.
However, you may need to start screening at an earlier age, get additional tests or be tested more often. Learn more about colorectal cancer risk factors
There are several test options for colorectal cancer screening.
Stool-based tests options:
- Stool DNA tests can detect changes in DNA that happen as colon cancer develops. These combine testing for changes in stool DNA with a fecal immunochemical test (FIT). These are the most accurate of the stool-based tests.
- Fecal immunochemical tests (FIT) look for proteins found in blood. This can let your doctor know that there may be blood in your stool, which can be a sign of colon cancer.
- Fecal occult blood tests (FOBT) look for traces of blood in your stool that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
We got you covered:
Most insurance plans and Medicare help pay for colorectal cancer screening for people who are 50 years old or older. Colorectal cancer screening tests may be covered by your health insurance policy without a deductible or co-pay.
What are the Symptoms of Colon Cancer?
- Blood in your stool
- A change in bowel habits
- Unexplained pain in your stomach
- A lump in your abdomen
- Reduced appetite or unexplained weight loss
- Dizziness, tiredness or breathlessness
Make Your Health a Priority:
- Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
- Get regular exercise
- Take control of your weight
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid alcohol
Ready to take the next step?
If you have not seen your provider in more than a year, schedule an appointment today. Not an Adelante patient yet? Call 480-964-2273 to schedule an appointment.