· 10 6-inch low-carb tortillas
· 4 cups enchilada sauce
· 12 oz of pre-cooked shredded chicken
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 white onion medium
· 4 cloves garlic
· 1 red bell pepper
Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce:
· 1 cup raw cashews unsalted & unroasted
· 1 cup water
· ¼ cup nutritional yeast
· 2 teaspoons onion powder
· 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 1 garlic clove
· 1 teaspoon of sea salt
· ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven: preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Prep the vegetables: Thinly slice the red pepper. Finely chop the white onion. Remove the skin and finely chop or grate the garlic cloves.
3. Make the dairy-free cheese sauce: Blend together the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper until creamy and well combined. Start by only adding 1 teaspoon of sea salt and slowly add up to 1 teaspoon.
4. Make the filling: On medium heat sauté the onion and red bell pepper slices in olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the grated garlic for an extra minute until aromatic. Mix in the shredded chicken and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.
5. Prep the baking dish(es): The bottom of each baking dish should be lightly coated with a spoonful of enchilada sauce to avoid sticking.
6. Assemble the enchiladas: Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of dairy-free cheese sauce and two spoonfuls of the chicken filling mixture. Roll it up and place it in the pan with the fold facing down so the tortilla doesn’t unfold. Repeat until you run out of tortillas or filling. Top the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and then drizzle the remaining cheese sauce on top of all the rolled tortillas.
7. Bake: Bake at 400° F for 20-25 minutes.
8. Add toppings: Top with fresh avocado slices and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!