Are you looking for the perfect gift this Valentine’s?
The gift of a healthy heart can be the best gift ever. February is American Heart Month, a great time to commit to a healthy lifestyle and make small changes that can lead to a lifetime with a healthy heart.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Every year, 1 in 4 deaths are caused by heart disease. The good news is heart disease can often be prevented when people make healthy choices and manage their health conditions.
Make a difference in your community
Spread the word about strategies for preventing heart disease and encourage people to live heart-healthy lives.
Things to do every day to keep your heart strong
- Consume healthy fats
- Stick to a healthy diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fish, and limit sugars, sodium, processed and red meats, and make it a point to avoid eating foods with trans-fat.
- Practice good dental hygiene, and floss
- Floss and brush your teeth daily to prevent a build-up of bacteria-laden plaque, which can lead to gum disease. It’s more than cavities you may have to deal with if you are fighting gum disease.
- Sleep, sleep, sleep
- Try to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
- Move around
- It’s important to move your body throughout the day. When you go to the grocery store park farther away, take a few shorter walks throughout the day, stand while talking on the phone. Make time to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, and seven days a week.
Here at Adelante Healthcare, we create opportunities for people to make healthier choices. With health professionals available for you. Patient-Centered Medical Home is a team- based partnership that works with your health goals and assists you in meeting them.
Click here to find out more about PCMH and how we can help you.